Monday, January 4, 2010

Decisions for Recovery: How would you implement a response program?

A co-worker shared the following website link with me a few weeks ago and I decided to check it out on the morning of New Year's Eve while catching up on some loose ends for the year:




It's a high quality interactive quiz that was put together by the British Red Cross to show real-life problems that are faced by humanitarian aid agencies as the implement a disaster response program and give you a very general idea of why they made some of the decisions they made in their work. I can't say I agreed with every "right" or high value answer for each of the questions that were posed but there's a reason that there are so many organizations and agencies out there that seek to help disaster affected communities. As an example, one question asks you where to obtain timber for rebuilding homes (locally or importing) and it seems logical to me to use local materials relative to the type and design of homes normally built in the community. Local materials may not be plentiful right away but could easily be used in the future if the family is adding onto a simple "core house" to make it more liveable for an extended family.

I'd encourage you to give it a try and come back here and let me know what you thought of the quiz.

Special thanks to the British Red Cross for allowing me to link to their site and share the image above. You can visit their blog at blogs.redcross.org.uk/emergencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment